Sunday, October 24, 2010

Letting You in on the Blague

Little posting this week as I was back in Oneonta for a long weekend. I returned home on a super secret assignment. Okay, not really on that last bit. I was just blague-ing.

My friend Chantal informs me that "blague" means "joke" in French. "Trick" or "blunder," too. Hmm. I suppose we could have called this The Prank from Prague or Bohemian Buffoonery. But that's not really what we were going for. Any resemblance of our little blog here to a joke or trick or blunder is purely coincidental.

That said, should you wish to impress your French friends or foes or fries, here are a few phrases to foist.

Definition:
joke, trick, blunder

J'ai entendu une bonne blague hier - I heard a good joke yesterday.

Expressions:

Sans blague ? - Seriously? You don't say!

Sans blague, Blague à part - Joking aside

Prendre tout à la blague - To not take anything seriously

Raconter des blagues - To put someone on

Faire une blague à - Play a trick on; Faire une blague - Make a silly mistake; Faire des blagues - Do stupid things

Pas de blagues ! - No messing around!

Related: blaguer (inf) - to joke or kid; blagueur (adj) - ironic, teasing

By the way, it's no joke that I was back in the States this weekend. Just not on a super secret mission. More later.

1 comment:

  1. Sans blague? You were in Oneonta? Safe travels back to Prague!
    -Rachael

    ReplyDelete