Thursday, December 9, 2010

Mluvíš česky?

I just finished a two-week intensive Czech class through Czech Language Training that I've been attending three hours each weekday since Garrett's birthday. Because I didn't have enough going on this past fortnight.

And after focusing on česky jazyk (Czech language) for almost 30 hours of class time -- and the odd evening minutes here and there -- I'm starting to understand a little of the buzz around me.

Petra, the instructor, was great. Very laid back and cheerful, she made the classes fun.


That's right, taking Czech classes was kind of fun. I mentioned this to an acquaintance I bumped into last weekend.

"In the four and a half years I've lived here, that is the first time anyone has said learning Czech was fun," she replied.

I credit Petra.

But we had a good mix of folks, too.

Here we are, a veritable melting pot. We represented five continents and languages, lacking only Australia. And Antarctica.


Mohammed (from Tunisia) arrived in the fall. His wife is Czech. Luis (Colombia) is engaged to a Czech woman. They met in Australia, so perhaps he's our Australia connection. He's committed to giving Prague a year before he decides whether or not he can abide the climate. And the language.

Celine (France) is a student getting a masters in education. The Czech class helped her fulfill course requirements for her degree. And Sanoj (India) arrived just a day or two before the class started. He is a social worker and starts his job in two weeks helping disadvantaged children at a local facility.

It was a relief, if humbling, that our common language was English. Which means all of these guys were learning their third language, if not fourth. I have some knowledge of Spanish, but I couldn't claim any level of fluency. Ah, America.


The class actually finishes tomorrow, but my book group gathers in the morning I decided I'd rather discuss Three Cups of Tea over homemade goodies and a Christmas book swap than conjugate irregular verbs in the future tense.

Go ahead, you can say it: slacker.

5 comments:

  1. I always knew you were special. So glad to hear everyone is upbeat again.

    Love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sans Blague? Good for you! LOL..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, thanks, Mom.

    @ Rachael ~ Fakt jo. Roughly, "that's a fact." But given that "j" is pronounced like a "y", that could get you in trouble if you say it to non-Czechs. ;)

    @ Adrienne ~ my Antarctica papers must be on their way. Unless they forgot to process them. Slackers.

    @ Eric ~ InDEED!

    ReplyDelete